Mumeemagic is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A Comprehensive Guide to Sidecar Crib
A few months after your baby is born, you might prefer to have your baby right next to you all the time. On the other hand, does sleeping with your baby in a king-size bed still make you wish you had more room for yourself? We get it. Sidecar cribs are the right solution for you and your little one.
Sidecar cribs allow you to reap all the benefits of co-sleeping without sacrificing space. Thanks to sidecar cribs, breastfeeding at night is much easier. However, choosing a sidecar crib is not as easy as it looks. You don’t want a super-soft foam crib mattress or gaps between the crib and your bed.
Are thousands of questions about the sidecar crib running on your mind? Don’t worry! Keep reading as this article will walk you through sidecar cribs. Also, we’ve combined a great list of the best sidecar cribs to make parenting easier for you!
What Is a Sidecar Crib?
A bedside crib is another name for a sidecar crib. It is a bassinet or a regular crib that connects to an adult bed. By having one of the sides open, the sidecar crib allows the baby to stay directly beside the parents.
Such cribs are a great alternative if you are facing difficulties adjusting your baby on your bed. Besides, the crib would be a suitable alternative to adult beds as its mattresses might not support the baby well enough. You can find many sidecar cribs that are convertible. It means you can continue using the sidecar cribs even as your baby continues to grow.
Parents pick sidecar cribs to give their baby the benefits of co-sleeping without the dangers of bed-sharing. These cribs also make it easier for the parent to tend to their babies during the night.
How to Sidecar a Crib?
It would be best if you had a regular crib and some hardware tools to sidecar it. The process involves removing one of the longer sides of the crib rails. Also, while you sidecar the crib, it is essential to ensure that there are no gaps.
Many of these sidecar cribs are convertible into toddler beds. If your crib’s hardware and crib mattress allow sidecar adjustments, you’re good to go. You have to set up the structure as a bassinet. However, the mattress should be on the highest level to match the height of your bed.
You might also have to use a piece of camping foam to raise the level of the bedside crib. Camping foam can also help you fill any gaps between your bed and the crib. Some people also have success attaching plywood under the crib to raise the overall height. Alternatively, you can take a bungee cord and hook it to the baby’s crib’s frame and your own mattress.
Once you successfully attach the crib to your bed, make sure it is stable and safe. Even without the crib’s fourth rail, the bedside crib should not be shaky. The key to a perfect sidecar crib is to ensure stability, syncing height, and no gaps!
Benefits of Co-sleeping
As a parent, you should know that the American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that they should avoid bed-sharing with their little ones. According to pediatrics, infants should sleep in a portable, bassinet play yard, or safety-approved crib.
A sidecar crib lets you enjoy the benefits of co-sleeping and gives you plenty of space on your bed. Having your baby next to you is not only reassuring but also convenient for feeding. Sidecar crib also prepares your little one for healthy baby sleep skills. Often it can be extended and converted into a toddler bed.
Here are some benefits of co-sleeping that a sidecar crib can unlock for you:
- Better Sleep: If your baby is sleeping at the other end of the room or in another room, you might end up worrying all night. Most parents will sleep better knowing their baby is safe next to them. Likewise, your baby ought to sleep better knowing that they are secure and you’re next to them.
- Safety: One of the most significant benefits of a sidecar crib is safety. You don’t have to worry at night about your baby rolling towards the end. Since they are sleeping next to you, you’ll be able to notice their needs. Safety happens to be the top reason why parents should opt for co-sleeping with their babies.
- Easy Feeding: Only a mother knows the hustle of feeding the baby at night. Both bottle feeding and breastfeeding can be tricky when your baby is not sleeping next to you. Sidecar cribs mean the baby and mother can stay dozing during the feeding process. Post-feeding, co-sleeping makes it easier to go back to sleep.
- Reduces SIDS Risk: Many studies from pediatrics suggest that infants who sleep with their parents have a reduced risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). In Hong Kong, co-sleeping is common practice with all parents. As a result, the rate of SIDS is lowest in Hong Kong.
5 Best Sidecar Cribs for Comfortable Co-sleeping
There are thousands of sidecar cribs available in the market. While more choices would be great for any buyer, it also puts you in a fix. This section of the article discusses five remarkable sidecar cribs. We’ve looked into the essential features and measured the different factors to make the best recommendations for your tiny tot.
This convertible sidecar crib is comfortable and safe for young babies. There are six height options allowing you to find the perfect setting that matches the height parent’s bed and sofa easily. Your little one will also enjoy the side-to-side gliding motion in this bedside sleeper.
It is worth mentioning that this sidecar crib takes minimal effort and time to set up. You can also convert it from a sidecar crib to a bassinet within a couple of minutes. Plus, the overall low weight means you can shift it from one place to another quickly.
- It comes with 6 levels of height adjustment
- JPMA certified baby sidecar crib
- Easy access to tend to your little one
- Apt for 0-5-month-old babies
- Fitted with waterproof sheets
- Additional straps for sidecar
Nothing can beat the solid, safe, and sturdy construction of this Kidsclub Baby Bedside Sleeper. Unlike many other cribs, this one has a removable and washable mesh fabric. The mesh fabric allows adequate circulation and proper visibility.
Past buyers also speak highly of the extra soft sheets in this sidecar crib. One of the remarkable features of this bedside sleeper is that it is a 4-in-1 convertible bassinet. You can turn it into a play yard, rocking sleeper, bedside sleeper, and a standalone bassinet.
- 9-adjustable height positions
- Mesh fiber on both sides for adequate ventilation
- Two convertible structure modes
- Easy drop-down side panels
- Plush and comfy sheets
- Durable aluminum framing
The neutral color sleeper will look beautiful in your house. Apart from its stunning aesthetics, the crib gets as comfy as it can. Most buyers love the ample storage space available on this crib. Also, unlike cheap-quality convertible cribs, this one lets you switch from a bassinet to a bedside crib in seconds.
Since this sidecar crib is portable, it is an excellent option for a family that often travels. Moreover, the mesh walls let you keep a watch on your little one. The cozy fitted crib sheets and deluxe mattress are a cherry on top.
- Freestanding bassinet and bedside sleeper modes
- Portable and easy set up
- Handy storage pockets
- Mesh sides to enhance breathability
- Nylon straps for bedside attachment
- Conforms to ASTM safety standards and JPMA certified
If you want to create a safe sleeping environment for infants, it’s wise to invest in the Chicco Next2Me sidecar crib. This sidecar crib is a perfect attachment for co-sleeping. What we love about this crib is its breathable mesh. Besides, it has 11 levels of adjustments that align perfectly with any adult bed.
You’ll also be delighted to know that this Chicco crib is highly portable. Another remarkable feature is how easy it is to put this bed together. Even for first-time parents, Chicco Next2Me takes pretty little time to set up.
- Mesh walls are great for keeping an eye and breathability
- 11-positions of height settings
- Retractable feet adapt to drawer beds
- The 3D coating enhances air circulation
- Tilting on four different positions
- It fits all types of beds
- Uses high-quality crib fabrics
Is it Safe to Sidecar a Crib?
It is natural for parents to be scared of crib accidents. It is necessary to take crib safety tips when you sidecar your little one’s sleeping spot. It would be best if you had the proper crib hardware to successfully set up a safe co-sleeping sidecar crib.
Sidecar cribs are a safe alternative to bed-sharing. It supports feeding and also allows you to cater to nighttime arousals of your baby. Many studies show that co-sleeping reduces the risk of SIDS. So, not only is it safe to sidecar a crib, but it also has multiple benefits!
Can All Baby Cribs Be Sidecar?
To sidecar a regular crib, you need a structure that has removable sides. Even if one of the longer sides of the crib is removable, you can sidecar the crib. However, the hardware of the crib should support the mattress. Also, the bed on the crib should not be lower or higher than the parents’ mattress.
If you plan to buy a new crib, make sure to enquire about the sidecar possibilities. There might be traditional cribs that are not flexible for co-sleeping.
How to Choose a Sidecar Crib?
Here are some features to consider for your sidecar crib:
- It should have a suitable bedside bassinet that converts to a regular crib easily.
- The crib should be adjustable to the dimensions of your own bed frame.
- A sidecar crib with a storage compartment is a must.
- It would help if you also considered the durability of the crib’s structure.
- The sidecar crib should be baby-safe and should not have any pointy edges.
How long can a baby sleep in a co-sleeper?
Actually, it depends on a number of factors, including the age and health of the baby, the type of co-sleeper, and the sleeping environment.
However, it is generally safe for babies to sleep in a co-sleeper for short periods of time, provided that the co-sleeper is properly secured and the baby is supervised at all times. If you have any concerns, it is always best to consult with a pediatrician.
Hopefully, this article has answered all your questions about a sidecar crib. A sidecar crib ensures that you don’t compromise your space and comfort while also enjoying the benefits of co-sleeping. The best part? You can use a sidecar crib till your baby grows into a toddler as well!
Sidecar cribs make nighttime breastfeeding super simple! When setting up a sidecar crib, be mindful of the gaps and other minor factors.