Mumeemagic is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The question of how long to heat milk in the microwave for hot chocolate is one that many moms and parents ask. There are a lot of factors that go into the answer, like what type of milk you’re using, whether or not it’s cold, etc. The best way to find out how long your particular situation will require is by testing it out! That said, below is the recipe for making hot chocolate in the microwave.
How Long To Microwave Milk For Hot Chocolate?
As we mentioned above there could be a few different factors to consider but the general answer is about 60-90 seconds. The best practice is to take take the milk out every 15-20 secs and stir it.
How To Make A Homemade Hot Chocolate In Microwave?
Do you fancy a cup of homemade warm hot chocolate on a chilly winter nite? Then read on for this quick and easy homemade hot chocolate recipe:
Ingredients You Need:
- 3 Tablespoons Of Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2-3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- A Pinch Of Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Milk
- Marshmallows (optional)
- Chocolate Chips ( optional)
- Whipped Cream ( optional)
Step By Step Instructions:
1) Take a microwave-safe mug.
2) Put in two tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder ( I like Hershey’s the best)
3) Put 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
4) Add a pinch of cinnamon
5) Fill up the mug with milk. ( leave some space for whipped cream and marshmallows to add later)
6) Stir everything together. Don’t worry if the powder and sugar do not dissolve at this stage.
7) Put the mug in the microwave for about 30 secs
8) Take out the mug, stir the contents well
9) Put the mug back in the microwave for about 60 secs.
10) Take out the mug, stir the contents again and see if it’s hot enough for you, if not microwave it for another 30-45 secs.
11) add some whipped cream
12) add some marshmallows
13) add some chocolate chips
Use trimmed milk instead of full cream if you don’t like the full cream milk. For sugar-free just omit the sugar.
Here is a video from Harshita’s kitchen if you would like to watch it!
Is It Safe To Microwave Milk?
Yes, it is safe to microwave milk. Whether you are making a cup of coffee, hot chocolate, or simply just want a hot cup of milk, it is completely safe to microwave milk.
How To Microwave Milk?
Microwave milk in a microwave-safe container for at least 30 seconds. The recommended time is between 60-90 secs.
However, do not allow it to boil over. It’s critical to go slowly regardless of the instrument you’re using.
To prevent hot spots, stir the milk in a microwave every 15 seconds when heating it.
Experts recommend that you should only microwave milk until steam vapors appear on the top.
If you’ve ever had scorched milk on your stovetop or in your microwave, you know why it’s important to have a consistent heating method.
Risks Of Microwaving Milk
Whether you use a pot, a double boiler, or a microwave, there are two significant hazards. The milk may develop a film of protein, or it may scorch and burn on the bottom of the pan.
You should not, under any circumstances, drink scorched milk. Even if you can blend back the skin of the heated milk, it’s possible that it will alter the flavor and we all know scorched milk is unpleasant in taste.
I hope this article will help you make the simple but perfect hot chocolate at home using the microwave and answer the all-important question- How long to microwave the milk for a hot chocolate.
If you want to make sure that milk stays fresh, it is important to follow some steps. You can’t boil or scorch the milk. Stir it often as you heat milk and once the milk has heated, use it up. If your milk gets cold, do not put it back in the refrigerator. This could lead to bacteria infecting.